10/10/12

an ordinary day at the shelter

I usually get up at 7.30 just because the morning is my favorite part of the day, especially here. Apart from the barking from time to time it is very quiet here. You hear no cars or people. I love sitting outside with a coffee and admire the view of the mountains and the sunrise. Or go for a run before it is too hot.

The morning shift starts at 9am. We meet up in the office and discuss very shortly stuff that may have happened the day before(new dogs brought in, dogs not eating, stuff like that). The team leader gives you the medicines for the dogs(some dogs have Leishmania and get treated for it) and you go and get the food for the dogs. You are welcomed by loud barking. Needless to say, the dogs are very happy to see you in the morning. In every section(about 25 dogs) there is a cabin with some stuff in it and a sheet of instructions. It tells you which group of dogs go out at what time and also if dogs have to be fed separately(food aggression).
Along with feeding the dogs also comes cleaning the kennels which involves picking up all the poo. When one of the groups is out you clean their kennel and refill their water bowls. I also usually go out and cuddle the dogs and play with them as well.

At 12 o'clock we have coffee break. We write down which dogs haven't eaten and if there was any soft poo in the kennels(in case one of them is sick). After coffee break some groups still may have to come out and you are usually done by 1.30pm. After that you are free to do what you want til 4pm when the afternoon shift starts.

After my lunch I take a dog for a walk when it's not too hot outside. These past 2 weeks though it has been too warm though. So the dogs just want to lay down and sleep. I sit with them and take pictures and cuddle them or sit with the more scared dogs to try and get them used to people.

The afternoon shift is shorter and does not include so much cleaning since there usually isn't any poo in the kennels yet. I have 2 rituals every night. The 1st one: I take a dog for a walk at 7pm. I try to pick a different dog every day since they all need a chance to leave the shelter for a little while. We have a lot of older British dogwalkers. They usually pick the same dogs every time. So I have a tendency to walk the dogs that don't go out as much or the more 'difficult' dogs. The other day I picked a dog who will be leaving soon. In her kennel she is fine but she is very scared to go out. So we had to bring one of her kennel mates and I had to carry her out to the front gate while she peed all over me. Poor thing!
The walks with the dogs are great though. Most of them are really excited to be outside. And in addition the view of the mountains is incredible. I have seen it so many times but I don't think I would ever grow tired of it.

My 2nd ritual: around 8pm I sit with Sirocco, my favorite dog here. He is a 11-year old Galgo, covered with scars(damn hunters!!). He is very gentle and calm. Quite big and he loves it when I stroke him. His kennel mate is the Galgo puppies' mum. She is very scared of people, so I usually bring some dog biscuits to try and get her used to me. She still doesn't really approach me but you can see that she has gotten used to me being there every night.
Sirocco hasn't been well the last couple of days. He sneezes blood and is not eating well and is just laying down most of the time. I feel so sorry for him. The chances of him being adopted are very slim. Not many people want an older hunting dog. If my house was bigger I would adopt him immediately. I think Inez would like him as well. He may only have a few years left and I don't want him to spend those years inside the shelter without ever having lived in a real home with people who love him. Just writing this makes me teary, :(
Last night while I was stroking him I got a bit emotional and sniffed a bit and he looked up at me with this look as if he wanted to say: 'what are you sniffing about? I am the one who's stuck here'. :(. Anyway, I always find it hard to leave his kennel and say good night. I love spending time with him.

When I get out it is dark outside and I usually take a shower first(you get very dirty here with all of these dogs jumping up at you) and have dinner afterwards.
The evenings aren't very exciting since the shelter is situated in quite a remote area, but I don't mind. I love the sound of the crickets and the sky with the millions of stars. Very peaceful.
I am just so happy to be here, :)




my sweetie

No comments:

Post a Comment